Park Books is happy to support local authors and independent self-published authors. If your book is offered through a major distributor or publisher and not currently on our shelves, please let us know! If you are self-published and not available through a publisher or distributor, please consider consigning with us!
Listed below are our terms
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW & DO
1. Please familiarize yourself with the program terms
2. Ensure your book meets our guidelines
3. Fill out the Independent Author Consignment Program form and email
4. Receive confirmation & acceptance email to program
You will receive acceptance via email. The confirmation email will include how many books should be dropped off or mailed to the store + instructions for payment. Do not mail or drop off any books until you receive this confirmation.
6. Drop off or mail requested number of books along with the stocking fee
7. Tell all your friends! Market your book on social media, at events, book signings, etc.! Tell them to find it at Park Books & Literacy Lab! We will be happy to host a book signing for you. Please inquire.
8. Contact the store periodically to check inventory stock
PHYSICAL BOOK GUIDELINES
- Book must have a printed and bound spine displaying the title and author name
- *Please provide a picture of your book (spine, front and back covers) to email@example.com
- Spiral bound or stapled books are not accepted
- Book must have a 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- Book must have a barcode with ISBN displayed on the back of the book
- Please note: Hardback children’s books will sell better than mass printed paperback in our market. We will do our best to display your book; however, books without spines may be lost on shelves.
INDEPENDENT AUTHOR PROGRAM TERMS
- The Independent Author Consignment Program is labor-intensive: setting up paper records, tracking sales, and managing the inventory must be done individually and by hand. All books occupy valuable space on our shelves, which is limited. Authors should understand that there are expenses associated with simply making their book(s) available in our store whether they sell or not. We have a one-time program fee to help offset these labor costs. The standard, non-refundable, one-time fee is $35.00 per title.
- Accept standard 60/40 publishing industry terms. Park Books agrees to pay 60% for consignments sold. The author doesn’t pay us anything beyond the initial $35 fee. Park Books does not pay the author anything unless their book(s) sell.
- We pay quarterly for book sales. Payments for sales are mailed (or picked up) by the end of April, July, October, and January.
- We will contact you to confirm the number of copies which should be brought/mailed to the store (usually 3-5). If you are scheduled for an author signing event, you will be asked to bring additional books to sell during your event. Books sold at such an event will be added to our inventory for payment on the quarterly schedule described above. It is the author’s responsibility to notify us of any changes in contact information. It is also the author’s responsibility to check with us about inventory status and to deliver new inventory as needed.
- We ask that author’s promote the availability of their book at Park Books on their social media platforms and events.
- Pick up any unsold books at 6 months of being on the shelves. If you would like to continue, you must pay a $25 continued restocking fee. The fee will be waived if you have sold 10 or more books in a 6 month period.
- You must offer your books at the same price at all retail outlets.
- Include that your book is available at Park Books in any and all marketing and advertising. Please also consider adding our web address link to any social media advertising.
- Please note: Park Books is not responsible for damaged or stolen books left for consignment.
If these terms are acceptable, please download, complete and send back the form. Upon confirmation of your acceptance to our Independent Author Consignment Program, you may then pay your $35 program fee via mailed check or credit card online (instructions will be included in the email). Please note it can take up to two weeks for your application to be processed and for you to be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 14 business days, please then feel free to contact us at:
If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us by email or drop by the store!
Park Books reserves the right to make the final decision on accepting a book.